English speaking announcement on social media :)

Hello everyone :slight_smile:
As decided during the summercamp, we are going to announce that the official language is english :slight_smile: i prepared a post for social networks, can you tell me if it’s ok for you, if you want to add something else and if you want to translate this in another language, please, feel free to do it :slight_smile:

FR --------------
[Annonce] Au fur et à mesure que la communauté grandit, nous nous interrogeons sur les moyens de communication intercommunautés et interpays. Pour faciliter les échanges, la langue officielle de Museomix sera maintenant l’anglais, partagé par tous, pour les échanges, les groupes de travail et aussi sur les réseaux sociaux !

EN---------------
[Announcement ] As the community grows, we are wondering about intercommunity and intercountry communication. To facilitate exchanges, the official language of Museomix will now be English, shared by all, for intercommunities exchanges, working groups and also on social networks !

2 Likes

bonjour, Communauté Muséomix !

ben moi, ça m’ennuie. la solution précédente, où l’on écrivait dans sa langue + on traduisait en anglais me convenait bien mieux. Les soirs de fatigue, traduire l’anglais (parfois “de cuisine”) des messages reçus (notamment ceux qui parlent en fait la même langue que nous !), est pénible, difficile et absurde… Et puis, j’étudie au Muséum d’histoire Naturelle, je crois à l’importance de la biodiversité, et aussi à celle de la diversité linguistique ! De ce fait, je propose qu’on systématise la traduction ou a minima le résumé en anglais du message initial rédigé dans la langue maternelle de chacun ! et pour les anglophones “natives”, la traduction dans une langue de leur choix :wink: ! c’est de toute façon pour quasi tout le monde la démarche que nous faisons…
Ă  vos avis ! :wink:

Hello Museomix community !

This solution is not pleasant for me. The last one, when each person writes in his/her own langage + translate in english at least a sum up was better I think. Evenings and nights, when we are tired (so tired), to translate from english every texts, even those wrote by same langage speaking people, is absurd, exhausting and difficult. And, I study at the National Museum of Natural History, I think that biodiversity is important, and linguistic diversity too !!! So I purpose translation in english can become systematic, and for native english people, translation in one langage they choose :wink:
waiting for your points of view !

1 Like

Bonjour Catherine,
en fait cela ne change pas, tant qu’il y a une version anglaise, même résumée :slight_smile: c’est surtout sur les réseaux sociaux que cela va changer puisque sur les comptes officiels museomix la langue devient l’anglais. Pour le reste, les échanges, et les groupes de travail, on l’a vu au summer camp, c’est mieux en anglais (cependant, c’était plutot un genre de franglais ;p )

Hello Catherine,
In fact it does not change, as long as there is an English version, even summarized it’s ok :slight_smile: it is mainly on social networks that this will change since on the official museomix accounts the language will be English. For the rest, the exchanges, and the working groups, we experienced it at the summer camp, it is better in English (however, we do speak for the moment of franglais, p)

JanaĂŻne

Bonjour,

Personnellement, je suis incapable de traduire de manière compréhensible à l’écrit mes propos et m’en excuse, mais ça sera Google Translate ou rien et je doute que ça ne soit pertinent niveau résultat.

Peut-être vaut-il mieux dédoubler les tweets quitte à les faire en anglais, en espagnol et en français afin que chacun y trouve son compte ?

Concernant Facebook, rien n’empêche comme ici de mettre la traduction dessous puisque nous ne sommes pas limiter en nombre de caractères.

La mise en place d’une “Team Trad’” ou d’un tableau regroupant les personnes à l’aise avec la traduction (et ayant le temps bien entendu …) pourrait être un plus pour traduire les productions des communautés ayant une diffusion plus importante que le local ?

Bonne journée à vous
Nina pour Museomix Nord

Hello

Personally, I’m unable to translate understandably written my remarks and apologize, but it will be Google Translate or anything and I don’t think that’s relevant level result.

Perhaps it is better to split the tweets even if do in English, french, and Spanish so there is something for everyone?

On Facebook, there is nothing like this to put the translation below since we are not limited in number of characters.

The implementation of a translation “Team Traduction” or a table bringing together the people comfortable with the translation (and having the time of course…) could be a plus to translate the productions of communities having greater than the local circulation? "

Good day to you,
Nina for Museomix Nord

1 Like

Hello,

Pour recentrer le débat, @Kwandika parle uniquement des réseaux sociaux :slight_smile: Et du compte général Museomix (FB et twitter), qu’elle gère déjà ! Donc en gros, elle va écrire les posts en anglais, il y a déjà la traduction automatique sur FB, et pour twitter c’est très court, donc à priori peu compliqué.

Chaque pays Ă©crit dans sa langue, et quand elle repartagera, ce sera in English.

Donc, d’après ce que je comprends, ça ne vous change pas grand chose.

Est-ce bien cela @Kwandika ?

@NinaDebail très bonnes idées, peut-être de serait bien de monter le groupe de travail avec @Sam.Donvil qui était aussi intéressé il me semble ?

+++

Marilyne

2 Likes

Oui c’est bien ça :slight_smile: j’aime beaucoup aussi l’idée d’une team trad !
JanaĂŻne

1 Like

Hi guys,

First of all thanks for your input and @Marilyne thanks for claryifying a couple of things. For the moment we are only discussion social media communication. For decisions about working documents and content, we will organise a workshop at the september Intercommunity meeting in Brussels. As soon as we have something more concrete, I will put it on the Intercommunity drive to which you are ofcourse welcome to add comments and input.

I would agree with Catherine that nurturing a culture of language diversity would be the best-case scenario. My experience at the Intercommunity at Lyon however hasn’t reinforced my confidence that this is feasible in a way that doesn’t reproduce the pattern of prioritising french-speakers needs over other members of our community. If the idea behind the Intercommunity is to create a horizontal, direct-democratic structure, then the priority needs to be inclusivity. I realise that this will require an effort for all of us but our experience in Belgium has thought us that it is worth it and in fact not that hard. We all adapted pretty quickly and it’s no longer weird for us to speak in english.

I also thought of setting up a translation unit. However, I don’t think it will help it we approach this as a time-saver. Because saving time for some people means losing time for others. Moreover, the idea is that all people gradually get comfortable with English, even if the English is not instantly of a high quality it should suffice for communication and organisational documents. In my opinion we definitely need it to rewrite all of our standard documents and content in English and start the translation from there.

Hope to see all of you in Brussels in September!

With kind regards,

Sam

4 Likes

Also in Switzerland we have some language difficulties like Belgians and intercom.

The solution in 2015 was to translate all the documents in French and German for Museomix Bern while we mixed the swiss french existing community with the new community, a big work. But for working each team was free to choose the language to use and to save time the “officials” communications where in English.
Last year we make 2 different Museomix, one principally in French, the other in German, but to communicate between the organizers we used principally English.

Also in the Museomix CH association we use a similarly strategy, the statutes are in French while the “head office” is in a French speaking canton, but for exchanges we use English if we now that somebody don’t understand French or German and only the newsletter and the website are translated in French and English.

3 Likes